Skip to main content

We Made It to Fifty Years


August, our anniversary month, is always significant for me, especially this year; we celebrated our golden anniversary.  I dreamed about reaching our fiftieth year goal.  Ideas filled my brain with ways to celebrate our special day.  Earlier in the year, back in February, we told our kids we do not want a fancy celebration.  Parties with plaques of rhyming verses with gold wedding bands attached don’t define us, but family in an informal venue with a simple menu is who we are to a tee.  The early summer brush fires put the kibosh on planning a picnic for the event when forests closed down in surrounding mountains.  Our daughter, Amy, loves to plan a party and she devised a lovely gathering.  She and her husband took us out to dinner along with Tom’s cousin and wife from New Mexico who surprised us with a weekend visit.  Tom’s cousin, our best man at our wedding, has a wonderful sense of humor.  We laughed as we reminisced how he wrote “help me” on the soles of Tom’s shoes at the altar on our wedding day. 

Evening cooled down after dinner and we all enjoyed a blues band at an outdoor concert in the park!  Amy had the band leader announce our anniversary and when friends stopped by to give us a hug, we passed out cupcakes.  It was great to see everyone.

The next morning, Tom and I took our family to a favorite scenic spot in Sedona for breakfast.  We’re blessed and grateful for family and friends.  








Amy asked me just last week:  “What’s it like to be married fifty years, Mom?”  I answered with a devotional I saved from our prayer time that morning.  Jonathan Cahn writes about the vows we take on our wedding day.  We face one another and pledge our love to each other with witnesses all around hearing us vow to love each other in good times and in bad, not based on feeling but choosing to love.   He reminds us a vow is not a feeling.  He compares it to the Messiah’s love for us.  Jesus didn’t feel like hanging on a cross, but He loved us and gave us an example of Messiah-like love even when we don’t feel like loving.  Feelings come and go but true love is a decision.

 

Fifty years is a benchmark.  A vow is forever.  We’re blessed to have another day to love each other.


Comments

  1. Heartfelt Congratulations on your big day! I ndeed, true love is a decision, not a feeling that comes and goes. Lovely photos; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are definitely a dream team!
    I love that Amy honored your wishes for a more intimate observance. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, happy anni"vow"sary bro Tom and sister Mary!!! (That word just came to mind as I type)... I was cracking up about what his cousin did to his shoes. I could picture bro Tom kneeling and his soles of shoes facing the crowd as they read "Help me!!!"

    I had read long time ago about a quote that says "Love is a two way street under a constant construction." How true what you said that it shouldn't be based on what one feels but honoring the vow to go through together during both ups and downs of life. It is sacred and a gift from God! Simple celebrations are the best. I think it is always intimate among family and friends. You're that way because you both know now after 50 yrs., that things of the world have its fads that come and go. You both look beautiful on your wedding day but even more so 50 yrs later. I feel all the love and respect you have for each other. I'm also grateful for the Lord's gift of my husband and child that we have a bond coming from His love because only His grace helps us get through anything that comes in our family's path. I could only pray that my marriage will be like yours.

    I know it will be... If we always put the Lord in the midst, the triple braided cord can't be broken. So glory be to God! I truly enjoy your post because you both reflect a blessed marriage that is rare nowadays. Leaving now but without forgetting to drop off a prayer for many, many yrs more! Love and prayers sister Mary. God bless and protect you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I love how you celebrated, sounds like what we would like as well. The help me on the shoes is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary to you both. GIRL...your words...Fifty years is a benchmark. A vow is forever. We’re blessed to have another day to love each other. SO VERY TRUE! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Mary! This is just so precious! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and Tom! Wow, I imagine those 50 years went by so, so fast! You two are such a blessing in my life and such a shining example of enduring love. I am so blessed to call you my friend. May the Lord richly bless you both and grant you many, many more healthy, happy, good quality years together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful Mary!!! Anniversary blessings!
    I always find such blessings coming to visit and its been quite the while since Ive blogged or been on blogger. So happy to see your smiles, as always!
    I love listening to Jonathan Cahn too!!!
    xo Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke