Skip to main content

Lessons in the Fire


My neighborhood looks deserted this morning.  After sweeping my back deck and driving to the post office, I think I’ll join my neighbors and stay indoors, too.  The heavy layer of smoke over our towns here in the Verde Valley chokes us and destroys the air quality.  I read our Arizona fire fighters have fought 20 fires this season and summer has just begun.  The big one, The Rafael Fire, burns in the mountains west of Sedona having already destroyed 46,000 acres.  At night, it lights up the curve of the mountain top with its orange flames; thankfully, it still is a good distance from our homes.  But, oh, the smoke!

                                            The fire near us was a nail biter!  

It all started in our little town a few weeks ago.  The Sunday after Memorial Day, I noticed a strong smell of smoke coming through our evaporative cooling system as I finished the sandwich I made for lunch.  I panicked when I walked outside to see a grass fire incased in huge billows of smoke on the next block.  It spread toward a neighbor’s house and some of the guys put it out with water hoses and got it to back up although the neighbor’s yard looks charred today.





The fire started in the wilderness and grew wide as a football field before it approached residential homes.  We hosed down our property and prayed the 91st Psalm reminding God of His promise to send us angels for protection.  I’ve watched my east-coast friends take spiritual authority over immense hurricane winds and thought I would give it a try.  I faced that demon of smoke and told it to move north, the opposite direction, and go where no homes are as I called on the mighty Name of Jesus.  I didn’t care who heard me or thought I was crazy. We got in touch with neighbors close by.  Together, we covered our homes with the blood of Jesus and noticed the fire turned around and crossed the dirt road and advanced toward open wilderness and into the mountain range that borders our community.  Prayer works!  So does preparation.  All our residents quickly learned the forestry lingo:  Ready-Set-Go.




Our daughters were not happy with us
.

Emergency vehicles paced our street throughout the afternoon.  The sheriff gave us orders to evacuate.  Whereas, I think that was a good choice for some, a bunch of our closer neighbors joined us in waiting it out.  We watched the winds hold steady as the blaze remained parallel to our street about one quarter mile in the distance.  Should the winds shift, it would engulf us.  My car was ready and packed with my purse and important papers.  My husband kept telling me not to worry but keep praying.  The winds obeyed our many prayers and I knew we escaped danger as it passed our homes.

 

I loved the way our neighbors checked on each other and cared for hot animals left behind.  High temperatures raged along with massive winds but I wanted to be outside meeting up with my neighbors as we supported one another.  By nightfall, the fire burned 1,200 acres and settled in the mountain guarded by Hot Shots.  I will never forget the sound of aircraft tankers.  I felt like I was in a bunker with bombs going off overhead as the pilots sprayed retardant.   Maybe I watch too many World War II movies.

 

I learned many lessons that day:  the importance of community, organized plans, supportive prayer times, etc.  It was hard on our children often calling on our cell phones and hearing my nervous voice.  Imagine their anxiety not being able to see what I see but only massive clouds of smoke hovering over our little community in the distance.  The community bulletin page on social media got some facts wrong.  Finally, my neighbor corrected them and wrote:  “Not all of us left.  Some of my neighbors watched as the fire circled around our homes and moved to the mountain.” 

 

Days later, I cried happy tears when a close girlfriend sent me a handmade note card filled with encouraging words.  She enclosed a gift certificate to our favorite local burger place to cheer us.




A friend of ours in Phoenix wants us to pack up and drive down to her large home in the valley and stay awhile.  Oh, her pool and hospitality tempt us.  Escapes have consequences; I really don’t want to return to dry and thirsty trees and dead garden flowers.  No, we’ll stay here and hold the line.  Even if it’s smoky.

 

The lessons I learned in the fire alarmed me.   As I document this frightful day, I hold dear my precious neighbors.  I savor prayer declarations ordering the enemy that wants to destroy us to be annihilated by the power of Jesus’ Name.  We never lost electricity.  And I realize the importance of study and application of God’s holy Word as we never know when calamity will visit in the days to come.  I am thankful.

 

Arizona needs rain desperately.  Arizona needs prayers.

 

“He provides rain for the earth; He sends water on the countryside.”  Job 5:10


Comments

  1. I've been meaning to ask how you all are. It's been smokey here and the skies are very hazy.The forecast calls for thunderstorms next week so hopefully there won't be any dry lightning. Chino Valley has cancelled our fireworks celebration so maybe our family would want to go to Prescott or somewhere near Prescott Valley. Have a safe 4th. I'll be praying for the safety of you all and the firefighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regina, for your concern! Now in the Monsoon season, many fear those lightening strikes. We'll have to pray specifically.

      Delete
  2. As I heard the news of fires in different parts of Arizona, I had been praying for you & your family's safety. Oh! Glory be to the One Who hears & answers our prayers! No doubt! His Word is alive & the sWORD you can use to fight enemies, I believe in physical & spiritual realms. Glad to hear you're both okay same with your neighbors. We're all in drought season. But even harder with the spiritual state this country is in. May the Lord forgive us & heal our land. May many turn to Him for repentance. History of man always repeats itself... Of being right in their own eyes. God bless & protect you sister Mary & your family. People laughed at Noah for building that Ark. Yet, he & his family were saved & the animals he gathered from the flood! People might think you were crazy for commanding for the fires to change direction. When it did, whoever heard you would remember not the craziness but the power you have that comes from believing, trusting, & knowing God! Glory be to God forever! ✝️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosel, for thinking of us as you heard about Arizona. I so appreciate your comforting words and powerful prayers!

      Delete
  3. I am so, so very sorry to hear and read this dear lady. I can't imagine you going through this except for God. My mercy! We had some fires in a forest near our home some years back and though we were never at evacuating times, the mere smoke sent my asthma into orbit! Girl. so glad that you have such a strong prayer task force there. Praise the Lord for the way He looked over you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cindy, I didn't know you have Asthma. No, it's not good for you to be in places like this so full of smoke. Although today was a great improvement.

      Delete
  4. What a chilling account you've painted, Mary! Strangely enough, last night I was reading something similar on FB -- a high-school chum detailing how she and her family barely escaped the Cerro Grande fire (2000) with their lives ... how, driving past the football stadium she looked back and saw the western area 'explode into a huge ball of fire.' I'm so thankful you and your neighbors and the animals were spared. Who cares if anyone thinks you're crazy; God is using you - both at the front lines and here, on your blog. Thank you for sharing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to find the good in every situation, Myra, I realize what desperation does and how we cry out to God--the only One who can solve our problems. Folks back here in the hills mostly keep to themselves so we don't know much about each other and it is beautiful to see their hearts in these times!

      Delete
  5. My mother used to warn me of fires and flooding. She said never live near a body of water, never live close to a forest. Anyway, prayers help, and God protects those who trust Him.
    The 5 Ps of evacuation are very useful to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the five P's taught me so much! We've never seen so much drought here or the forests close.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mary, Praise the LORD for His protection! And for your intercession and faith rising up in the midst of the fires. May the LORD bless you and protect you and shine His face upon you and always pour out His Grace upon you and give you and your family Peace!! And that all the fires will be put out and that the consuming fire of His Glory will spread over your towns and bring healing and His Love!! Blessings in Yeshua!💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS agreeing with your prayers for rain for Arizona!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, my goodness! This sounds just awful. I am so thankful you all are safe and praise God for the authority you took in your praying. Sorry I am just now getting here to read this. It was such an encouragement to me this morning - God knew when I would need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, thank God for His mercy. Praise and prayer have a power in them. I know that the scriptures say that the earth is stored up for fire ( I believe it is both physical and spiritual) and I hope and pray that the people of this world will stop doing the foolish things that cause climate change. God bless and keep you safe as you trust in Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke