Skip to main content

The True Hero

 



Sometimes I think I overuse the word “hero” and lessen its value.  Just this morning, I called my husband my hero after he fixed our serious plumbing problem and I didn’t have to cancel our Memorial Day cookout.

 

We live in an older manufactured home, the kind with anemic drain pipes smaller than site-built homes.  When grease and residue accumulate, we have a sorry mess on our hands.  Today, after hours of boiling water and using drainage snakes, we ended up worse than when we first began.  Our double kitchen sink and also our vegetable-island sink backed up with yucky water that refused to go down.    I felt exhausted and out of options;  I told the husband I am ready to call and cancel our plans and gather all the food for grilling and stick it in the freezer.  He wouldn’t hear of it.  He got dressed for battle with his tools in hand and his protective work jumpsuit taped at the hands and ankles to prevent black widow and other critter encounters as he crawled under the house.    I prayed.  Within a half hour, he completed the dirty job and I was back in business cleaning my kitchen as I threw his battle gear in the washing machine while he showered.

 

He is my hero!

 

A few weeks ago, I watched several speakers share patriotic messages at the Health and Freedom Conference in Tulsa.  One speaker, a chiropractic doctor from California known as the “Marine with a Megaphone,” set me straight when he described the meaning of a true hero.  Here are his words:

 

“Heroes aren’t found catching footballs, wearing shoulder pads and spandex, kneeling in the end zone, kneeling at the American flag.  They’re found blazing into war, martyred by bullets, holding their friend’s remains in their hands, missing Christmases, missing their firstborn.  These are the real heroes.”  Dr. Cordie Williams

 

This Memorial Day I get to enjoy a cookout with loved ones.  I get to celebrate freedom and protection granted to me by my constitutional rights.  Thank you, true heroes in all armed forces for giving your very lives for that freedom. Thank you to their families for their sacrifice.  Today I celebrate you.   


Comments

  1. What a man! I love how you illustrate Tom's gearing up for battle, not unlike the armor of God.
    That quote by Dr. Williams is powerful. Thank you for sharing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you dear husband was able to fix the problem. Sink backups are the absolute worse! Have a safe Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any man or woman who fixes plugged pipes, cleans out tolet back up, is my hero too. My husband never served in the military due to he could not pass the physical due to his heart. But he has always been a great provider, working two job often times. He is an introvert yet he had such a heart for the lost we spent a good part of our life taking the gospel to place most would not go cause they were hard. I do have friends who did not come back from the war. I have family who has served in the military and I cannot thank them all enough. Living in third world countries that do not have the freedom the US does brings a clear picture as to why others want to live in our country. It the best due to the ones who died to make it the best. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree that you overuse the word "hero" & lessen its value. I think it's not even enough to describe a courageous Christian soldier who was willing to crawl under & face the little, unknown critters crawling somewhere😁. At the same time, to unclog the mess that not a lot of people would dare to do but rather, risk losing a few hundred bucks from their wallets to hire a plumber for only a few minutes! 😜 There's a saying freedom isn't free but I think, this is an exception. The drain became free flowing and the labor was free! LOL. Just kidding sister Mary. You both are good examples of a strong unity between husband & wife!!! Yes! Thanks to all who sacrifice their lives, past and present, to fight for freedom. It's sad if no one values that sacrifice anymore just because of all the twists in history to make them look like they're the bad guys instead of true heroes. God bless & protect all the true patriots!!!!🙏

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I am so thankful for every one of those precious heroes! And so grateful Tom was able to fix your problem, so you could enjoy your cookout today, sweet friend. Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🙏 sent up right away!!! Thank you for the surprised visit knowing it's a busy day. Not thinking of grilling any with the warm weather. Family & i just did the easiest thing... Picked up burgers & fries😁
    Sister, praying for His protection, guidance, & that no weapons formed against you & your family will ever succeed & that you guys will silence any voices raised up to accuse any of you. God is with you all! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed reading this today so much. Wonderful words. Happy Week to you dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I too have a hero husband, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without him. He always has to finish a job that he starts, as I can have ten jobs going at once, doing bits at a time. Your husband did a very challenging job, and when you mentioned the black widow I know how it feels to come across them and also the red back, as we did when we lived in Australia. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke

Hello August

  We’re smack in the middle of summer but I will pause and count my blessings this season.   Our arid Arizona days have turned into monsoon rains and we are refreshed.   Triple digits are put on hold for a while and cooler desert mornings  allow me longer hours of yard work, especially after the messy, wild storms.   We’ve always grown hollyhocks, but for some reason, they went dormant the last two years.   I remember Tom on his sickbed reminding me to water the seeds he planted near the fence and, like a crazy lady, I watered what seemed like empty dirt all last year.   Was he confused, maybe?   Come spring I saw the fluffy, green leaves sprout all along the fence line.   I got excited when the different colored flowers opened.  You never know what you're going to get! As I watered, I thought of the Scripture verse about “calling forth that which is not as though it was.”   Hmm, I should apply that one to several areas of my life!   I spent last week with family in Tucson.