Skip to main content

A Birthday Present



We seniors aren’t especially fond of tacking on another year when a birthday rolls around.  Our fragile body parts remind us we are no longer invincible.  My calendar tells me I need a tooth restored, surgery on two toes and removal of cataracts.

 

Today is my birthday.   I woke up this morning thinking of ways to grow old gracefully but switched to thoughts of thanksgiving and, why not?  I have been blessed.

 

My family arrived on Friday.  Joyous faces filled my home along with fun food, laughter, games and lots of rich birthday cake.  This bunch is a party in themselves.

 

Actually, my birthday celebration began last week.  The husband invited me to drive up to the mountains with him and have lunch in our favorite town.  With appetites satisfied, he dropped me off at the mall with a generous gift card and told me what every woman loves to hear:  “Take your time!”  That’s where I discovered a birthday present I wanted with all my heart.

 

While shopping, I accidentally backed into a perfume display and hit the jackpot.  Amazing Grace!  I discovered this light scent last year and bookmarked it in my brain as a must have.  But, it’s pricey.  I grabbed a bottle.

 

Amazing Grace in its pale pink pretty packaging reigns top of the list this year when it comes to birthday presents.  Also, it confirms my 2021 word from the Lord: grace!  I’ll be digging in my Bible with hopes to learn the accurate meaning of God’s amazing grace.  Not the phony, copycat definitions of favor.  God’s Word, my benchmark for truth, will help me figure it out.


 Amazing Grace Perfume’s manufacturer, Philosophy, spews gibberish about this gem on the box.  The message talks of life’s ups and downs and a need for grace to be able to make it through the day.  But there’s a better philosophy; it dates back 2,000 years when Jesus made a way to God’s throne for believers.

 

The Cross, A Perfect Way


The reason grace is so amazing is because I can’t earn it.  I can’t buy it.  It is freely given from a Savior who laid down His life so I can be forgiven and access Heaven.  Every morning when I spray a lavish mist of Amazing Grace and dance wholly into it, I will remember God’s great gift to me.   Oh Lord, help me to remember to give grace freely to others as well.

 

Tomorrow my family will leave, every opened and read birthday card will be filed away and the cake will be a distant memory.  However, the best gift-- Amazing Grace—lives on in sweet salvation.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday Mary! Enjoy God's gift and your favorite perfume Amazing Grace!
    The cake looks rich, and the candle bright and warming! Your family is a great Blessing.
    Many happy returns of the Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday blessings, Mary! I'm so glad to hear your family feted you in the fashion you so deserve. I'm no expert, but guess Mr. God is looking down at you with a BIG smile on His face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe....I love this! And Happy Birthday!!! And thank you so much for stopping by. I thought everyone had disappeared. LOL!
    HUGS!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious post dear Mary. AMAZING GRACE from our Lord is amazing and I bet your Amazing Grace perfume is too! So glad that you had a wonderful birthday. They do tend to roll around quicker don't they ? LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, sweet friend! I am so thankful you had such a wonderful birthday filled with fun and surrounded by the ones you love the most. May the dear Lord bless this to be your happiest year ever and may He bless you with many, many more happy, healthy birthdays, in Jesus' name! Love and appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, Happy Birthday!! May you be a fragrant aroma in Christ as you wear the perfume and always!! Much Love and blessings , good health and joy unending on your birthday and many, many more!!!♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday sister Mary! I don't think it was accidental that you discovered the perfume last year, only to be bought a year later. The Lord gave it and He always gives everything in His perfect time! Grace! We all need it! Especially at these tumultuous time! But what option do we have? Nothing but always focus on our Great Savior and His grace! Your aroma from life to life always increases my faith sister Mary. I have been AWOL from blogging but never in my prayers. I always keep you in my thoughts and prayers so I know the Lord is always there with you, no matter what fragile body parts need replacing! It's awesome you had a fun day with your family...God bless and strengthen you always sister Mary! Thank you for always sharing with us your love for Jesus! Love and prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday Mary, and the perfume sounds lovely. Whenever I think of birthdays I never think of getting one year older, as we are only a day older than we was the day before :-}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...