Skip to main content

A Birthday Present



We seniors aren’t especially fond of tacking on another year when a birthday rolls around.  Our fragile body parts remind us we are no longer invincible.  My calendar tells me I need a tooth restored, surgery on two toes and removal of cataracts.

 

Today is my birthday.   I woke up this morning thinking of ways to grow old gracefully but switched to thoughts of thanksgiving and, why not?  I have been blessed.

 

My family arrived on Friday.  Joyous faces filled my home along with fun food, laughter, games and lots of rich birthday cake.  This bunch is a party in themselves.

 

Actually, my birthday celebration began last week.  The husband invited me to drive up to the mountains with him and have lunch in our favorite town.  With appetites satisfied, he dropped me off at the mall with a generous gift card and told me what every woman loves to hear:  “Take your time!”  That’s where I discovered a birthday present I wanted with all my heart.

 

While shopping, I accidentally backed into a perfume display and hit the jackpot.  Amazing Grace!  I discovered this light scent last year and bookmarked it in my brain as a must have.  But, it’s pricey.  I grabbed a bottle.

 

Amazing Grace in its pale pink pretty packaging reigns top of the list this year when it comes to birthday presents.  Also, it confirms my 2021 word from the Lord: grace!  I’ll be digging in my Bible with hopes to learn the accurate meaning of God’s amazing grace.  Not the phony, copycat definitions of favor.  God’s Word, my benchmark for truth, will help me figure it out.


 Amazing Grace Perfume’s manufacturer, Philosophy, spews gibberish about this gem on the box.  The message talks of life’s ups and downs and a need for grace to be able to make it through the day.  But there’s a better philosophy; it dates back 2,000 years when Jesus made a way to God’s throne for believers.

 

The Cross, A Perfect Way


The reason grace is so amazing is because I can’t earn it.  I can’t buy it.  It is freely given from a Savior who laid down His life so I can be forgiven and access Heaven.  Every morning when I spray a lavish mist of Amazing Grace and dance wholly into it, I will remember God’s great gift to me.   Oh Lord, help me to remember to give grace freely to others as well.

 

Tomorrow my family will leave, every opened and read birthday card will be filed away and the cake will be a distant memory.  However, the best gift-- Amazing Grace—lives on in sweet salvation.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday Mary! Enjoy God's gift and your favorite perfume Amazing Grace!
    The cake looks rich, and the candle bright and warming! Your family is a great Blessing.
    Many happy returns of the Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday blessings, Mary! I'm so glad to hear your family feted you in the fashion you so deserve. I'm no expert, but guess Mr. God is looking down at you with a BIG smile on His face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe....I love this! And Happy Birthday!!! And thank you so much for stopping by. I thought everyone had disappeared. LOL!
    HUGS!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious post dear Mary. AMAZING GRACE from our Lord is amazing and I bet your Amazing Grace perfume is too! So glad that you had a wonderful birthday. They do tend to roll around quicker don't they ? LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, sweet friend! I am so thankful you had such a wonderful birthday filled with fun and surrounded by the ones you love the most. May the dear Lord bless this to be your happiest year ever and may He bless you with many, many more happy, healthy birthdays, in Jesus' name! Love and appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, Happy Birthday!! May you be a fragrant aroma in Christ as you wear the perfume and always!! Much Love and blessings , good health and joy unending on your birthday and many, many more!!!♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday sister Mary! I don't think it was accidental that you discovered the perfume last year, only to be bought a year later. The Lord gave it and He always gives everything in His perfect time! Grace! We all need it! Especially at these tumultuous time! But what option do we have? Nothing but always focus on our Great Savior and His grace! Your aroma from life to life always increases my faith sister Mary. I have been AWOL from blogging but never in my prayers. I always keep you in my thoughts and prayers so I know the Lord is always there with you, no matter what fragile body parts need replacing! It's awesome you had a fun day with your family...God bless and strengthen you always sister Mary! Thank you for always sharing with us your love for Jesus! Love and prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday Mary, and the perfume sounds lovely. Whenever I think of birthdays I never think of getting one year older, as we are only a day older than we was the day before :-}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke

Hello August

  We’re smack in the middle of summer but I will pause and count my blessings this season.   Our arid Arizona days have turned into monsoon rains and we are refreshed.   Triple digits are put on hold for a while and cooler desert mornings  allow me longer hours of yard work, especially after the messy, wild storms.   We’ve always grown hollyhocks, but for some reason, they went dormant the last two years.   I remember Tom on his sickbed reminding me to water the seeds he planted near the fence and, like a crazy lady, I watered what seemed like empty dirt all last year.   Was he confused, maybe?   Come spring I saw the fluffy, green leaves sprout all along the fence line.   I got excited when the different colored flowers opened.  You never know what you're going to get! As I watered, I thought of the Scripture verse about “calling forth that which is not as though it was.”   Hmm, I should apply that one to several areas of my life!   I spent last week with family in Tucson.