Skip to main content

Twists and Turns

 


It’s funny now when I look back to our drive home from Tucson yesterday how the upbeat sermon we heard along the way prepared us for what we would face.

My daughter, Amy, told me:   “You can drive home with me, mom, but you’re going to have to listen to Joel Osteen, okay?”  I replied:  “I am totally on board with it!” 

Joel’s sermon reminded us about those twists and turns which come along in life and how God will get us to our destination as long as we trust and follow His lead.  Osteen used examples from his actor friend who taught him sometimes the best movies we watch are not filmed in sequence.  The last scene might be filmed first.  Surely, God sees the end result as we face challenges and He can get us to finish well just like a good movie! 

The CD just about ended when we noticed the lull in traffic on the interstate highway.  Why were cars exiting in Chandler just before we headed into Phoenix?  In a few miles we came to a complete stop.  My GPS showed a traffic accident ahead which closed down the interstate indefinitely! We decided to maneuver the truck onto the opposite oncoming traffic and turn off in Chandler too!  Lots of twists and turns followed as we chose another route taking us through Phoenix to get back onto the interstate.  Hours later, we landed back on track heading north to home.  We laughed as we lived that sermon!  We got home eventually, a little harried but safe nonetheless!  

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving this week. 

Our family gathered at our younger daughter’s new home in Tucson over the weekend to celebrate early this year to accommodate work schedules.  We prepared a big turkey dinner which is always a lot of work and clean up but as my daughter said:  “When you sit down to eat dinner and taste all the wonderful family recipes handed down through the years, it's worth all the effort.” 

My husband, an only child, grew up with cousins.  We were blessed to have his cousin with us along with his wife, all the way from New Mexico.  They're still an integral part of our lives. 

We all arrived on different days over the long weekend, left back for home on different days, but everyone stayed safe despite the twists and turns!

 

“Don’t let the twists, the turns,

The things that don’t make sense cause you

To get discouraged.

Keep moving forward.”

                                     Joel Osteen



















Comments

  1. We can plan all we want but thank God He is the One Who directs our steps. Happy Thanksgiving sister Mary and what a lovely time with family! God bless and protect you all always. Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO thankful you all were able to gather and enjoy your day in spite of the covid mess and all that is going on. It was so wonderful to see your smiling, happy faces in the photos! Much love to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always amazes me how the Lord teaches lessons in life so amazingly! Thankful you had such a good time together! Such a blessing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas sister Mary and a blessed New Year!!! May His richest blessings: love, peace, joy, hope, peace and faith fill your hearts and minds... Love and prayers always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...