Skip to main content

Stolen Candy




What kind of grandmother would steal candy from her grandchildren’s Easter baskets?  Me.  I’m guilty and so convicted, I baked two loaves of pumpkin bread to send home with them as a guilt offering.

The shutdown, as well as my family, cancelled Easter travel plans last month.  Papa and I felt disappointed and we knew where those chocolate peanut butter eggs hid in their baskets so we ate them!    Papa loves to buy the little’s Easter baskets and fill them to the full with fun goodies, mostly crafts, but always some rich candy too.

Last week when the family called to ask if they can visit, we made a mad dash to the store to replace the chocolate.  That's when I baked pumpkin bread. We celebrated a late Easter and early Mother’s Day.


Now the house is empty and I miss the kids, their mom and the dog.  I liked the pizza that Auntie and Uncle brought, the fun time in the park, coloring eggs, playing card games and baking Chicken Enchiladas. 















We enjoyed our early Mother’s Day and my heart is full.  Motherhood, though difficult at times, comes with rewards.  I’m happy to feel accepted, forgiven and blessed and know my children do not expect perfection.

Life doesn’t come with a manual.
It comes with a mother.
                                                                                                                 Unknown

For me, when I think of mothers and look at Scripture, I see two things.  God’s Word instructs us to honor our mothers and fathers.  Sometimes it’s easy, but if they’re difficult, we set boundaries, of course, and make sure their needs are met no matter how they treat us in return.

Secondly, I like to think on the fruit of the Spirit.  Who doesn’t need kindness, patience and love?

I hope your Mother’s Day celebrations are special despite the lock down.  Mamas, Aunties, Step Moms, Bonus Moms:  you matter!  Enjoy your day.  You deserve it.

Honor your father and mother
So that you may have a long life
In the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
Exodus 20:12

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace
Patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness
and self control.
The law is not against such things.
Galatians 5:22-23




Hazel’s Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Bread or any fruit (Makes 2 loaves)
3 cups white flour
1 tsp soda (or ½ tsp each soda and baking powder)
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar
Stir dry ingredients then Mix in separate bowl
1 small can pumpkin 15 oz (not pie mix)  or 2 cups chopped apples.
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
mix wet ingredients and stir into dry mixture

Optional:
1 cup chopped nuts
I line 2 bread pans with a 2 inch strip of wax or parchment paper instead of greasing the pan.
Bake 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Cool and Grab the paper and the bread will come out whole.


Comments

  1. "What kind of grandmother would steal candy from her grandchildren’s Easter baskets? Me"

    Thank God for His forgiveness for all of our sins!!! He's probably smiling/laughing as you peeked on those candies and He already knew before you even took 'em. LOL.

    Kidding aside, your grandchildren are so big. Time flies by so fast. When we first blogged, they were just tiny ones. Sometimes I wonder, how do we get back to normal when a lot of people are afraid after this pandemic? But so glad you had a wonderful time with your lovely family. The enchiladas looked good and thank you for the recipe!

    Happy Mother's Day sister Mary and sending you love, prayers, and of course, coffee that will go well with the pumpkin bread ;) God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't the kiddos grown, Rosel? The enchiladas are so easy; I'll teach you. So good, too. The pumpkin bread is Hazel Moon's recipe passed down over the years. Tom says it's a ten!

      Delete
  2. Lovely family photos!
    The dogs seem to be a very integral part of your family life.
    The picture of the white dog contemplating the lying dog is amazing! The same applies to the sweet girl
    'cheek to cheek' with the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs got along, Duta. They even enjoyed one another!

      Delete
  3. Those chicken enchiladas look amazing! We so miss not having 'real' Mexican food here in Alabama. Your family is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing these heartwarming images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myra, for the kind words. I'll share how Carrie makes her enchiladas. So good.

      Delete
  4. Aww I'm glad you two had such sweet visitors. I'm going to try that recipe. We were in your neck of the woods last week. My daughter wanted to look at a specific sewing machine that she saw Quilters Quarters in Cottonwood( I think that's the name) sold. Of course when we got there it turned out this sewing machine (Eversew) they don't keep in stock and they'd have to order it with deposit. We decided that was a bad idea because she didn't want to order a sewing machine without knowing whether it was a good fit or not.
    So we went to the sewing machine store closer to home in Prescott Valley and she ended up buying a lovely BabyLock which was on sale. She was very happy.
    You have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this story! So glad she found just what she needed.

      Delete
  5. Happy Mother's Day Mary!! So special to be have a real live visit with your family!! The pumpkin bread sounds delicious!! Many blessings!!♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to one of the sweetest mamas I know! So thankful you had that special time with your dear loved ones, and confession - I would have stolen the chocolate, too! LOL! I have a can of pumpkin in our pantry, and I think it is screaming for me to make this bread. Oh, I just thought - I have some walnuts to put in it, too! I am going to try it using honey since I try not to eat white sugar. I hope it turns out good! Thank you for this uplifting post. I am SOOO thankful you are back blogging again and my Bible study partner, too. You are precious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I love the pictures of you all and girl...I am afraid I would have ate the candy with or without COVID! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary,
    this was a lovely post, and I have to say 'Join the club' regarding loving certain sweets and 'chocies' :-) I am the world's worst at it. If you saw what was in one of my kitchen cupboards you would not believe it. I have forced myself not to eat much of them daily as I was gaining weight around my middle. I am doing ok so far. Lovely pics, glad you had a nice mother's day. Mother's day is on a different date here.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to add, Mary, there is a lovely young Irish singer called Owen Mac. He sings a song called 'If Jesus comes tomorrow' on YouTube, I think you would like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pumpkin bread recipe looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!

    I love that little quote: "Life doesn't come with a manual. It comes with a mother."

    I always try to keep at least a little chocolate in the house. You never know when you are going to need it... ;)

    I'm so glad you had a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I steal the grandchildren too but only sometimes I replace it. I will confess to them that I got a sugar attack and just took one of two pieces and then I ask for forgiveness, which they always give me. Happy Belated Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Because He Lives, I Can Move

I’m currently in one of those places where you lay out all the options and then you make the best decision. It seems, however, like none of the choices are fair or attractive. I know God will help me in my situation because I desire His guidance. I’m clinging to His Word which promises that ALL things work together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purpose, Romans 8:28. I heard a great teaching this week about seeking God’s will and all the freedom that surrender brings. We can know that God is bringing about a victory if we trust Him with each and every decision. The speaker illustrated his point with a famous painting. The painting depicts a look of despair on the chess player’s face. He’s playing Satan and his soul is at stake. It looks like Satan is winning. Checkmate! When Paul Morphy saw this painting back in the 1800’s, he set up a chess board and aligned the pieces to reflect the painting. Being a world champion, he studied the board. His conclusi

Humor for the Bride and Groom

A young couple decided to wed.  As the big day approached, they grew apprehensive.  Each had a problem they had never before shared with anyone, not even each other. The Groom-to-be, overcoming his fear, decided to ask his father for advice.   "Father," he said, "I am deeply concerned about the success of my marriage."  His father replied, "Don't you love this girl?"   "Oh yes, very much," he said," but you see, I have very smelly feet, and I'm afraid that my fiancé will be put off by them."  "No problem," said dad, "all you have to do is wash your feet as often as possible, and always wear socks, even to bed."   Well, to him this seemed a workable solution. The bride-to-be, overcoming her fear, decided to take her problem up with her mom."  Mom," she said, "When I wake up in the morning my breath is truly awful."  "Honey," her mother consoled, "everyone has

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street?”   I replied that I’ve order coffee once in that place with a turke