Skip to main content

Name the Day




On a spontaneous whim, my daughter drove to my house to pick me up last Tuesday morning, her day off.  She invited me along for a day of shopping, lunch and a quick visit to see our sick friend.  I called the day “Fun Adventure.”

I’m naming my days.  I got the idea from a life coach who writes a devotional I’m reading called Seize the Day.  The gist of it names the day and calls it forth so as to step into a new day and enjoy it to the full by focusing on that day’s name and that day’s goals.

We all do this to some degree when we refer to our days as birthdays, anniversary days, holidays or a day off from work.  Now I call my days “productive days” if I revamp a clothes closet or pantry.  I also like “do nothing days” when I give myself permission to chill on the front deck with a good book and warm up leftovers for dinner instead of cooking.

Our nation called yesterday “Take Back Day” to address the opioid epidemic rampant in America with hopes to dispose of medication we no longer use to the posted drop-off locations keeping it out of children’s reach.

I call the coming days this week prep days.  Our family will arrive from Chicago and San Diego by the week's end.  I have a guest room to clean and a menu to pull together.  We have reservations on Cinco de Mayo, the fifth day of May, at the best Mexican restaurant in town to enjoy food and family once again.  During the week, some will have a hike day on the Sedona trails and some will have a kayak day on the river in Prescott.  I’m determined to have a play day with my four-year old granddaughter! 

What about you.  Do you name your days?  What do you call them?

Comments

  1. That's a great idea - to name days according to the goals of the particular day!

    Enjoy your coming days: prep days, guest days, Cinco de Mayo day, hike days, play day with your 4-year old granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done this, but I really like the idea! I think naming it would encourage me to do what I named it, whether it's being productive or actually allowing myself to have a do nothing day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the concept of naming days. Saturdays are definitely whirlwind days here with work schedule then watching the grandson. Goes way too fast! Enjoy your time this week with family enjoying some fun activities!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd not thought of naming days before ... but I like it! (A lot.) I'm big into anticipation, but love you and your daughter's spontaneity. Wishing you and all your family a wonder-FULL visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great reminder to "Focus! Focus! Focus!" since we have enough distractions for a day! I have never named each day specifically. But I always pray for enough grace of His and strength to accomplish if there's anything that needs to be done. Sounds like you're gonna' be busy sister Mary but what a fun time it would be to spend with loved ones!!! God bless and always strengthen you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Mary! Never thought about naming days but I guess in some way or another I do. Tuesdays are my "Get my house in order" day. Wednesdays are my Church day. Friday is my "do whatever I want to do day". Sundays are my church day and family dinner day. Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays are WHATEVER HAPPENS DAYS! LOL! I work three days a week too so I guess I call them work days! So funny because I kinda like naming days. But then you know Mary that I even name my dishes so this will come easy for me! LOL! Hugs and blessings dear lady.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice. I've been calling my days dark lately, but each is a gift. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That`s a fun idea! Love all the names and adventures! In Japan we just had a week of National Holidays called Golden week, and each day is another named day, there is Children`s Day, Green Day... one of the past Emperor`s birthday, and other ones I am not even sure! During the year there is also Ocean Day, Mountain Day, as National Holidays so its interesting to think of naming days on a personal way too!! Happy days to you Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea. We should name them powerful and celebratory things, like Triumph and Ice Cream. I know, I know, but when we triumph, we should celebrate with ice cream. I love the idea of carpe diem, seize the day. YES!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Prayer Pleeez!

I feel squeamish and thought I should tell you.  A giant stands before me and I’m using my sword, but ask for back-up.  I’m scheduled for surgery, August 25.  My journey begins with a left full knee replacement.  I will have to have the other knee done, later. My neighbors helped me find the best surgeon!  All she does is hips and knees. I’ve completed the pre-op tests, attended the class at the hospital to inform me of what to expect, and started physical therapy.  Before surgery I have to get to an acceptable range of motion.  Let’s just say, I’m not there yet. I am blessed! The PT believes in gentle therapy.  He has a low-key personality with humor.  He will be in my life for a while and I am determined to do whatever he says.  I’m improving already.  He knows his stuff. I can still visualize the surgeon’s finger pointing in my face to get a stationary bike and demanding:  “Get on it every day—take your ...