Skip to main content

Trial is Over and I Survived!





As we enter into the Christmas holidays, I have more smiles to add to the pile.  Our family is rejoicing.  I haven’t kept up my blog very well recently because I’ve been traveling…and praying.  A huge test of faith loomed large over our family this past year that God used to train us how to battle in the spirit realm. The good news is that a hostile court scene was avoided and God’s peace and forgiveness took its place, tearing down walls of strife that the enemy erected over the years.  This Christmas, I’m reflecting on how God shows up at just the right time.  He’s never late, is He?  In fact He came to earth at just the right time to be born and to die so that we can be free to live in victory!

I knew from the beginning that the trial our family faced was not going to be removed, but that each one of us had something to learn for our spiritual journeys and the trial would be the catalyst to promote us to a higher ground.  I’m not saying I’m a victorious over-comer, but I’ve learned to shake off some bad habits.  I’ve learned a few things:


  • Forgiveness is a one-way street.  When you forgive someone, they may not change but you will and your lightness of heart is evident of God’s joy for all to see.  Recently my husband introduced me to a friend of his.  He later he told me his friend noticed a sparkle in my eyes.  That kind of freedom would not be there if bitterness had its way and I wore a cloak of self pity.
  • I cannot control my circumstances or other people.  I can (and must) share my heart’s concerns with the Lord daily and ask Him for wisdom and direction with a firm resolve to obey Him.
  • I cannot manipulate other people or the outcome.  In one Sunday service before going to court, I felt prompted to ask for prayer for my family.  We have an anointed prayer team who prays with you and sends you on your way with loving hugs.  Yet, I waited until I heard “ask that one.”  I was in the parking lot when I turned to a young friend’s hug asking me how I’m doing.  “She’s the one”….Wow, was she ever!  I believe it was not only her prayers, but her counsel that turned our surrender into success.  Having just been through this kind of test, she not only spoke wisdom, but bore the fruit of it.
  • Don’t talk about the person that hurt you.  When we’re expecting a miracle, the enemy likes to steal it by tempting us to say unkind things about people and even if it’s true, that kind of stuff leads to more wounds, for them and me.
  • Trials will not sweep away my joy.  Joy has been promised to me and I can continue to serve God and love others regardless.
  • My pea-size brain cannot analyze why this happened.  Even if the Holy Spirit reveals some things, the only responsibility I have is to repent for my part and let God work in it all.  It is so burdensome to try to figure things out or judge.  We’re told not to!  Better to use that energy to get a promise from God and pray it allowing Him to work in the mess and change us all in the process!
  • Now when I see someone’s status or blog post and sense that they need prayer, I try to leave a comment that I’m standing in faith with them and even if 50 people post that, I’ll be 51.  When you’re going through the hard times, it means the world to know someone out there supports you.  The Body of Christ is very loving!  I will never forget those who scribbled a quick comment that they’re praying.  What a gift and the more response, the more love you feel.


We are packing today for yet another holiday road trip.  I’ll be away from my desktop and blog for a while, but when I get back I look forward to visiting my wonderful friends and seeing what you are all doing.  I’m wishing you a merriest Christmas holiday season.

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas....Thank you for sharing your struggles and the faith that is holding you up. Our trials are never easy but it is encouraging to know we are not alone. I pray the New year will be a year of victory for you! Have a fun and safe trip...Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. These lessons you have listed, that God has taught you... they are called wisdom, Mary. How hard some of the learning is, but you have done it with His grace, and I am rejoicing with you all.

    Have a wonderful trip and a Merry Christmas my friend! I know you will.

    Hugs,
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such extremely good lessons you've learned - and I've learned from you!

    God recently did a miracle of healing and forgiveness in our family, too. And it is amazing to see Him work.

    Have a wonderful Christmas, Mary - and may your entire family be blessed.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like we are always being put on hold by His hands in each trial we encounter...No matter, He truly knows what's best for us. I'm glad that you are doing well along with your beautiful family sister Mary. His love is faithful...Indeed. May you have a wonderful Christmas and lots of awesome surprises come 2014. Blessings and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! So nice to see you blogging again!

    Wow, it sure sounds like you have been through the wringer, that's for sure. What precious lessons you have learned along the hard way. You definitely got up every day, and strapped on your cross. Now you can feel so light, the battle is over.

    Blessings for your family this Christmas,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing how the Lord teaches us so much through the trials of life? This life here is hard. But praise God that we aren't left alone. He is with us every step of the way. I appreciate you listing the lessons for all of us to read and take heed.

    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I stopped by to read this post...what a blessing and encouragement you are! Thank you for sharing the lessons you've learned. I've had some similar ones this year.

    It's been a long while since I've done any blogging, but I posted about my anchor verses and word for the year. Please hop over and check it out!

    Blessings to you in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get to read this post at the time that you published it, but it was indeed a privilege to have been among those who prayed for your family about this painful trial. Rejoicing with you for how it all turned out. Amazing God... and I rejoice with you! Beautiful insights you have shared here. Those sparkling eyes are indeed a great testimony to what forgiveness does to our faces! Wishing you a wonderful 2014 ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Prayer Pleeez!

I feel squeamish and thought I should tell you.  A giant stands before me and I’m using my sword, but ask for back-up.  I’m scheduled for surgery, August 25.  My journey begins with a left full knee replacement.  I will have to have the other knee done, later. My neighbors helped me find the best surgeon!  All she does is hips and knees. I’ve completed the pre-op tests, attended the class at the hospital to inform me of what to expect, and started physical therapy.  Before surgery I have to get to an acceptable range of motion.  Let’s just say, I’m not there yet. I am blessed! The PT believes in gentle therapy.  He has a low-key personality with humor.  He will be in my life for a while and I am determined to do whatever he says.  I’m improving already.  He knows his stuff. I can still visualize the surgeon’s finger pointing in my face to get a stationary bike and demanding:  “Get on it every day—take your ...