Skip to main content

An Ending or a New Beginning?





Working alongside my husband in the marketplace over the past 18 years prepared me for what was to come when we approached our mid-sixties!  Retirement is a transition alright!  It calls for change physically, emotionally and financially.  I like eating dinner at Noon or mid-day! 

It's only been six weeks but they have been heavenly if you’re like us and like to get things done.  Projects have been put on hold for way too long here at the old homestead so we’ve been crossing things off the old, wrinkled “to do” list.  We’re far from done and new goals are emerging! 

Here’s a peek at some accomplishments.  We rebuilt the front porch and painted it.













We painted our propane tank!  It’s kind of nice to camouflage that big white tank and make it more garden friendly.  Thumbs up!










That’s a quick look at my summer.  How are your summer days going?

Comments

  1. sending you love, hugs, and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, it's wonderful to "see" you here again. Have to admit, I was a bit taken aback when I saw you use the "R" word on FB ... but was too caught up, I guess.

    And here, in an earlier fantasy, I imagined DH and I perhaps buying a place from you and Tom someday. (All the same, it was a NICE fantasy.)

    Many blessings for happy days ahead!

    Hugs,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retirement is wonderful but it is a big adjustment....I remember the first months after my husband retired we did the same thing you're doing catching up on all those projects we had let slide...But then you get into a nice routine and the freedom in your schedule that comes is absolutely wonderful....Retirement is a "fine" time of life.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your retirement! That is wonderful news. It is an adjustment, and you have to learn a new way of living. But my husband and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great! I'm very thrilled for you and your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are so industrious! And the *fruit of your labor* is wonderful!

    Our summer days?

    We just returned home after being evacuated for four days due to a raging wildfire that came within a mile of our home and town.

    So, this summer we are grateful - to firefighters, to our community, to prayer warriors - and to the God of the skies who sent rain at JUST the right time.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will love your free time....I do. These are the times you have looked forward to ...do not look back but always look forward and enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...