Skip to main content

The Beauty of Judgment






An interesting thought gripped me during my pastor’s sermon series on Breakthrough yesterday.  Since we live in AZ, it was particularly interesting how he used the visual of the Grand Canyon to make his point that sin alienates us from God.   He challenged Christians who confess salvation through the blood sacrifice of Jesus to make sober choices daily to walk in their freedom and not in slavery of sin.

He shared his experience on a tour in the Grand Canyon and was startled at his guide’s explanation of the amazing panoramic view.  “Isn’t judgment beautiful?” the guide asked.  Whoa!  What did he mean?  This beautiful monument was not created by man.  It was the result of the judgment of God for sin during the flood recorded in the book of Genesis.

“Based on the fact that the eruption of Mt. St. Helen's formed a canyon in a very short time period in the early 1980s, as well as other evidence, there is good reason to believe the Grand Canyon was formed over a very short time period. The evidence also shows it is preposterous to think the Grand Canyon could have been formed slowly over millions of years by the Colorado River.”  Russ Miller

Creationist, Russ Miller, presents his case in the You Tube, “The 3 Day Formation of the Grand Canyon” if you are interested in more details.

Getting back to my pastor’s point, there is justice for sin.  We have a choice to receive forgiveness from a Savior who paid the price of man’s sin and reap healing mentally, spiritually and physically or else we can continue in the empty sin patterns that lead to destruction. 

Once you were separated from God. The evil things you did showed your hostile attitude.  But now Christ has brought you back to God by dying in his physical body. He did this so that you could come into God’s presence without sin, fault, or blame.  This is on the condition that you continue in faith without being moved from the solid foundation of the hope that the Good News contains. You’ve heard this Good News of which I, Paul, became a servant. It has been spread throughout all creation under heaven. Colossians 1:21-23

The Grand Canyon is a perfect reminder that though we have a merciful God, He’s a just God too!  We choose.  It’s either freedom or slavery.

Comments

  1. You know, Mary, reading this I had another thought. Looking out at the Grand Canyon (it is beautiful, isn't it?!) I have always been so amazed at how wide it is. And then, I try to think how I could possibly cross that huge chasm on my own. Impossible.

    The God who created the Grand Canyon also sent His Son to span the impossibly wide chasm between His holiness and our sin.

    Oh, we are also so blessed by His Mercy!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how when we recklessly abandon ourselves to Him, when we give all our days and our lives to Him, we are freed.
    That as our eyes are fixed on Him, our circumstances and worries flee. It's all Him, and He supplies enough grace for each day, and does it again with each new day.
    Give it all to Him, be His servant, and be FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are truly blessed my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does not matter the size of the sin...the separation is just as great. Thank God for his mercy and grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's always the struggle with our flesh. Knowing who we are in Christ helps me. We are forgiven and so we can walk with Him daily in that freedom. I no longer want to be a slave to sin. Btw, I love the Grand Canyon. Thanks for the link to the video.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, this is a thought provoking post. Given your pastor's perspective, judgment is given for our protection. Wonderful insights about the Grand Canyon too.

    I've not been around blogland much... but this afternoon I deliberately took time to visit a few friends.

    Trusting all is well with you and your family. Regards to Carrie...

    Love
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, this is a thought provoking post. Given your pastor's perspective, judgment is given for our protection. Wonderful insights about the Grand Canyon too.

    I've not been around blogland much... but this afternoon I deliberately took time to visit a few friends.

    Trusting all is well with you and your family. Regards to Carrie...

    Love
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I know is that God is in control, of all of it, for always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure have a wonderful post! I was at the Grand Canyon years ago! What an amazing sight..I haven't checked out the You Tube info yet but I will stop back later and look into that. Very interesting and I wouldn't doubt it! His Forgiveness brings life and freedom. So many turn their backs on that. What rejoicing for those who accept His grace and forgiveness and freedom!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...