Skip to main content

How to Avoid Temptation



 
I now realize that when God is speaking something into my life I will hear it in several places. That happened yesterday at church listening to a sermon from the Book of James.  My pastor shared his own prayer life realizing how vital it is to pray not to be lead into temptation at the beginning of each new day.

And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong and he never tempts anyone else.  Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away.  These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.   James 1: 13-15

I’m like the Christian our pastor described who comes before the Lord telling Him all the same things but usually doesn’t ask help with temptation.  Yesterday afternoon I attended a prayer meeting in a friend’s home.  The teacher made some wonderful Biblical points and one of them was “to fight the temptation to want more and more things” quoting from 1Timothy 6: 7-9:

For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

There it was again…temptation. Obviously God is showing me how to avoid it every day!   I close with these words of Jesus: 

Jesus said: “This is how you should pray:
“Father, may your name be kept holy.
May your Kingdom come soon.
Give us each day the food we need
and forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation.”
Luke 11: 2-4

Comments

  1. We don't often think of temptation as not being grateful for having all the neccessities of life. I am guilty of this one and need His forgiveness and grace to overcome and see everything I have as a gracious gift from His hand. I have all I need and so much more. Thank you for this timely reminder! Visiting via Michelle's.
    Much love XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right...God does not tempt us...I can relate to you about God when speaks something into your life and hearing it again in several places...When this happens to me I always feel he wants to make sure I have the message. I jotted down the prayer and will use it each morning in my time of worship...Thank You. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how much they abound...Like sweets tempting us to take a bite, until those little nibbles become big bites until we realize we ate the whole thing...Thank you sister for reminding me about the importance of asking for His strength and helping us see the way out that He gives when we are tempted. May we be strong in the Lord's mighty power! Have a great week ahead sister Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the temptation is so subtle we can miss it. Lately I see how I am being tempted to have an impatient attitude, or a frustrated voice. How we need the Lord for all those moments when the enemy goes after us!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...