Skip to main content

Mom is Home for Christmas




This is the first year I’ve celebrated the holidays without my mom.  Now I know how many of you feel when you write about missing a parent at Christmas.  Your blog posts prepared me.  I didn’t know what to expect.  I’ve been one blessed woman to have my mom for so long.  She lived a full ninety-six years.  As my friend, Carla, told me “still, she’s your mother and you’ll miss her when she goes to heaven.”  Now it’s my turn to write about it.





Mom seems to be everywhere.  I was hanging ornaments on the tree with Christmas music playing in the background when Mario Lanza started singing - one of her favorites.  She loved the classical and religious carols, like me.  Many of my ornaments were hand made by mom, either crocheted or created in her ceramic class.  My prized possession is my Lladro Nativity that I’ve been displaying for over 30 years!






And recipes…oh, my!  Mom was a baker and it seems like when I sift through my recipe file, I find my favorites and they’re written out in her beautiful handwriting.  I also have pretty handwriting like her – not bragging, I know it’s a gift passed down.

One recipe that stopped me in my tracks was challenging to make but my brother, Denny, loves it.  She always made nut-filled crescents for him so I attempted it and sent the cookies to him last week.   Denny is my hero.  He faithfully cares for his wife, Bonnie, who suffered brain damage six months ago.  He deserves so much more than cookies.  But I bet he’s missing mom too.  The recipe is on my other blog posted here.

Mom was a great one to call when things fell apart.  She was a mighty prayer warrior, and a practical woman too.  So when I found her “recipe” for clogged pipes, I smiled.  Our kitchen sink has had a severe clog for over a week now.  It’s getting better, but not totally fixed yet despite the Liquid Plumber and plumbing snakes.  The recipe reads:  Combine a cup of baking soda with one cup of salt and pour down the drain.  Follow with two quarts of boiling water.  Wait 30 minutes and then flush with cool water.

See, I told you.  It’s like she’s right here, offering some advice!

Comments

  1. You are so right - I do think of my mom at this season, even more than at other times.

    She loved to bake, and I can't hold a candle to her in that department. Red velvet cake and snickerdoodles were her specialties. :)

    Glad you have such good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, your words resound in my heart tonight! I, too, have smiled at mom's -- and grandma's -- spiderly handwriting on recipe cards ... I hear "Little Drummer Boy" and hear mom saying "That's my favorite." What precious gifts they've left us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, totally understand this. This is my sixth Christmas without my mom, she is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you Mary! Even though it's been almost eight years (in February) since my mom died I especially miss her during the holidays. She always enjoyed them and also was a wonderful cook. Sending you hugs today my friend.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first Christmas without my dad, Mary. I'm not sure there were words to describe how much I missed him. I am blessed by your post and the sweet memories you have of your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could relate so much to your post. My mom has been gone for two Christmases. I miss her so much when I get out the Christmas dishes she gave me and when I look at photos of Christmases past that she was such a big part of. I pray that you and your family will have a blessed and joyful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...