Skip to main content

Chatting With Vets

I don't believe this "we are a changing nation." 
We are an uneducated nation regarding principles of liberty.
 Janine Turner




Last June we decided we would drive my car on our road trip to save gas money.  I didn’t say a word when my husband removed my flowery front license plate and replaced it with his Viet Nam Service Medal plate.  I haven’t asked him to remove it either and I’m not going to because I love the way other guys his age, probably vets, wave at me from the side of the road.  I eagerly respond with my thumb up.  We are united and proud together.

This week, my husband’s kidney stone pain caused a long wait for me in the VA medical center but I passed my time conversing with a few patients and we discussed the election outcome.  I have to admit, I’m always surprised when I meet a liberal veteran.  He was perfectly happy with the state of our nation whereas the conservative man cringed with the idea of four more years with a president who apologizes for the United States to anti-American nations.  Then I heard the voice of a young Marine woman who has decided to drop her military career adding she’s not about to put her life on the line for this country anymore.

It is disturbing to see our great nation so divided, even at the VA!  Nonetheless, I want to thank every veteran who has served our country and I pray for the future of the United States. 

First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil life in all godliness and dignity.  This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, Who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
1 Timothy 2:1-4




Comments

  1. I, too, would be surprised to meet a "liberal veteran." (I wonder, his story.) I envy your ability to listen to both sides .. even that young Marine!

    Tho' I'm still feeling a bit blue (and angry) ... I'm joining you in prayer for our Country and our armed services, present and past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sister, I can't even discuss the direction this nation is headed. I am crying out for God's mercy ...

    Bless you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that our nation is filled with so many
    varied ideas and political beliefs. you
    found a couple even in the veterans
    hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend's son is serving in the military and has been to Iraq and Afghanistan numerous times. I am shocked though when I see his wife's posts on Facebook. She is definitely liberal and for our current administration. I don't know how her husband feels about this though.

    I am praying for our nation.

    I am thankful for our veterans, including your hubby. My brother also served in the military during the Vietnam War.

    blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...