Skip to main content

The Shuttle Party


Over the past several years, I have made a lot of trips to San Diego to see the kids. I have never enjoyed a Shuttle ride as much as last Wednesday. Little did I realize as I left the airport in Phoenix that I was going home party style!

I liked the driver of the mini bus instantly. She was an attractive middle-aged gal donning a pair of jeans and a white shirt, classic style, my favorite. Her blond hair and skin were dry which is what I contend with in this hot climate. I felt at home! She was a friendly gal, quickly learning the names of all seven of us ladies, heading north to Sedona. She passed bottles of water to each of us; after all, it's Phoenix! I admired her openness about some of her driving challenges along the way and I particularly liked the pleasant way she solved problems that came along. Her upbeat personality won me over and interruptions did not disturb her. Once we got out of the city and turned north on the interstate jaunt, she turned up the radio and a sixties station blasted through our mini bus. The Beach Boys sang "Good Vibrations". It seemed to dictate the mood. Roy Orbison belted out "Oh, Pretty Woman!" By the time Martha and the Vandellas sang "Dancing in the Street," we all joined in. She joked about being the shuttle driver who includes Karaoke in her vehicle. Except for the young, pretty Asian woman sleeping across the aisle from me, we all were on a music high and laughing!

Then this happened: We rolled to a stop at the intersection; we were first in line at the red light. A homeless man with a sign sat just below the driver's door. She lowered her window and reached over for a bill in her purse and gave it to him. She talked to him a little bit, and then tossed him a bottle of water. The stoplight had changed, but she still hunted for another bill and gave it to him. I was too far back to hear the details she shared, but it didn't matter. I was impressed with her generosity and the way she helped others, without judging.

I sat quietly thinking about the importance of loving people and helping them. I thought about my job and wondered if I bring that much joy to people I meet on a daily basis and if I handle interruptions that well in the course of my day. Colossians 3:23 came to mind: Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

What kind of shuttle driver would Jesus be? Wow. He loves people. He has plenty to say about the poor and downhearted. I bet His attitude would be upbeat too. Our driver was like that, cheerfully willing to serve. Her behavior was a sermon in action, and my drive home that day was an eye opener.

This post links to What’s On Your Heart Tuesday and Tell Me a Story both located on my sidebar.



Comments

  1. HI there, What a wonderful adventure on the shuttle. One of the Lord's angels for sure. I so prefer to hand out tickets for food, so the $$ isn't wasted on drugs or liquor.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely story and a reminder to be gracious to others less fortunate. I am happy you had such a great bus ride and a happy time with your family.
    Thank you for sharing at: "Tell me a Story," the Blog Party: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great lesson for all of us.....and definitely one I needed to hear as I am not always so joyous when I encounter changes that are not to my liking....I love it when God put us in situations that challenge us to look at circumstances differently...Thank you so much for sharing this with us.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! ... How I'd have loved being a passenger :). It's true, there are angels amongst us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo, wish I could have taken that ride with you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious life-lesson story! I could feel the happiness on that bus ride! You brought us right in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post lifted my spirits today, as your posts always do. Thank you for sharing a little spot of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful treat it is to meet such loving people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful post. Great message.....and a reminder that there are amazingly loving people out there. I think you're one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story - I enjoyed it immensely. What kind of driver would Jesus be? Well, for one thing, everyone would be invited along for the ride! And He would tell everyone that He had ALREADY paid the price for the trip to Heaven!

    GLORY - sign me up!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me cry. What would Jesus do? Exactly that I'm sure. Love the ones who are happy and fine. Love the ones that are down and out... simply, easily without fanfare. This was a beautiful post and I'm glad that you shared it.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...