Skip to main content

Breaking the Fear Barrier



I'm amazed at Mary's courage. She took so many risks when she agreed to be the vessel to birth Jesus and raise Him. The faith of such a young girl astonishes me. When the angel Gabriel foretold the birth of her son Jesus, Mary responded in faith "I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said." Her bold demeanor stunned her pregnant cousin Elizabeth, who exclaimed in a loud voice: Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" (Luke 1:3

A similar dialogue occurred in my own kitchen not too long ago as I was preparing to entertain my guests with a favorite meal. My cousin thought that I was courageous to take on house guests and cooking for everybody, confessing that such a task would make her so nervous that she would end up in bed with a three-day headache. She has a lovely home and is a good cook, but she’s too much of a perfectionist. I quickly admitted that although I enjoy impersonating Martha Stewart in my kitchen, I have my areas where my blood pressure rises in fear, too. Put me in heavy traffic in a big city with unfamiliar streets and landmarks and I’m a nervous wreck. You can keep that kind of adventure!

My cousin and I need to be a little more like Mary and Elizabeth. Mary knew the secret, I think. She did not depend on her strength. She submitted to God. It takes no faith to do things that we know how to do. But what kind of faith rises up in us when we have to depend on the Lord to do His will in the midst of our inadequacies? Is it lean faith, no faith or do we say: “Here I am, Lord. May it be done to me according to Your will.” There are no excuses. Am I afraid? I need to do it anyway. I need to do it, even if I do it afraid.

This post connects to On Your Heart Tuesday at A Pause on the Path.

Comments

  1. I don't know about Mary...if that was me when the angel came, I would have been out the door with hair flying up!!! And that's what I need to learn...is to have a submissive heart like Mary. Every day.

    Thank you for reminding me.

    Merry Christmas sister and may the Lord's richest blessings be upon you. God bless and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this verse because it shows that Mary made a choice from the first moment to submit to the will of God. She had no way of knowing the outcome but she chose to obey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary's sweet submission is an amazing inspiration. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the wife of a soldier, I have often been reminded that courage does not exist in the absence of fear. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the secret. Not depending on our own strength. A good reminder this time of year. God's blessings on you this Christmas! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post. I need to be more Mary too...and so often I'm not. Thank you for the reminder.

    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas with your loved ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, What astounds me even more was that Mary was just a teenager-probably 15 or 16; when I reflect on my own immaturity at that age and that of others I am again blessed that she didn't question but submitted and obeyed.
    I love your honesty about driving in big cities-I'm the same way but then again, it's all about keeping our trust and focus on Him.
    Christmas blessings from my home to yours.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, this was powerful - and I so appreciated what you had to say about Mary's courage. Yes, she was well-chosen by God.

    You're absolutely right - we cannot depend on our own strength - most of us would wilt on our own in the face of daunting circumstances. But, praise God - we are not on our own.

    That fact was proven by the arrival of Emmanuel - God with us.

    What a gift - what a promise. We are never, ever alone.

    Wishing you and yours a very Merry CHRISTmas!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessings to you dear one. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! God is really speaking to me through this ... the other night I watched a movie on the Trinity Broadcasting Network and I don't know the name, but the focus was on Mary (and Joseph). It was so good, and it made me stop and consider once again how courageous Mary was, how srong her faith was, and what a bold beautiful mother she was to our Lord. I can't wait to meet her someday in Heaven! And when you do -- you can talk about your names!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you prompt me to think ... and then think again!

    Wishing you and your family a bright and beautiful .. and blessed Christmas!

    Love,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have often said that it's easy to have faith when you don't need it. Nothing like a fire-breathing dragon on your tail to test the quality of one's faith :)

    I know you've got a lot happening this holiday season, Mary, so know that I've had you in my thougths & prayers. Enjoy your journeys and the memories that will come of them.

    Merry Christmas,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  14. How true your words are! May we become more like Mary and Elizabeth. I want to have faith even when I don't know the future. I want to rest in His provision and not mine.

    Knowing your kindness, I'm sure you shower your guests with love. So no matter how the meal turns out, they will still be blessed.

    Merry Christmas!

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary -

    Excellent words of wisdom, lady.

    It's such a comfort to know that our Lord is with us in ALL that we do. He's such a loving Father, isn't He, Mary?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...