Skip to main content

Smarty Pants



“Preconceived notions are the locks on the door to wisdom.”

Merry Browne


No one is more surprised than me when I realize I’m not all that smart at times. On my recent trip to the mall to shop for end-of-summer discounted 70 percent clothing, I learned something about myself. I thought I was buying clothes; but I was developing an open mind!

I always thought I was too large to wear white pants so I never bought them. When I was visiting my sister in Chicago, she looked stunning in them and we are the same size. I found a $40 pair reduced to $8 and had to try them on. They looked great and were nice and long for my tall frame. I bought them!

Preconceived ideas are haunting. I cringe at the times they wiggle themselves into my personal Bible studies. How arrogant to think I know what a passage is all about because it is familiar to me. Sometimes I forget that God’s Word is alive and full of power and can change me unlike any other written concepts.

I heard a great sermon about marriage last Sunday taught by our husband & wife pastoral team. What leaped out at me in their presentation was “Listen to your spouse with your heart and not your head.” Sometimes we hear our spouse through filters of anger, rejection or some other emotion. Oh, my! I can think of times that preconceived ideas kept me from hearing what my husband was saying. I would think to myself “yeah, I’ve heard that before; you will never change.” Talk about a defeatist attitude!

I smiled when I put my new white pants on a hanger and hung them up in my clothes closet next to a row of black slacks and dark blue jeans. The “White Pants Victory” is just the beginning. With the Lord’s help, I hope to be victorious in these other areas, too!




This post links to On Your Heart Tuesdays.

Comments

  1. Enjoy your white pants !! They will go with just about any color blouse and - - what a bargain they were!! God is so good to help us shop. He plans these little details to surprise us and cause us to be happy. I rejoice when he does this for me, and I rejoice with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful reminder. Sometimes those preconceived notions run so deep that I don't even notice they're there until someone points it out.

    And I love the rose picture at the top of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much Mary, that I just might go and buy some white pants!!

    What a great way to make such a valid point.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally get this. i always have preconceived notions AND very high expectations...sigh.

    i enjoyed my visit here, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go, girl! Congratulations on your white pants victory! That inspires me to look for more victories in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You GO, girl! :)))
    I need to remember that part about listening with my heart, not my head and welcome a surprise or two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Mom. Now the real question is: Is wearing white pants after Labor Day a preconceived idea or is that for real?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A ha! Great reminder. Thank you for sharing on this dear one.....blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was all so true. Thank you for the comment about listening to our spouses with our hearts instead of our heads. I'm going to try to put this one into action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary -

    You go, lady of GOD, with your white pants on. Glad you were delivered from that bondage.

    GOD is in everything - even the tiniest details. Isn't that so wonderful and comforting?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...