Skip to main content

I Dare You to Love Like This!




I’m determined to not just study God’s Word, but implement it. It’s hard. Back in January, I wrote about the direction the Lord gave me for 2011. Whereas last year I focused on trusting Him to a greater degree, this year is all about loving. To love deeply you have to spend time with Jesus, see the best in people, speak right words and clean up your heart every day. I take the verse in 1 John 3:18 seriously.

Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

My granddaughter is only going on three but she taught me an important lesson. Her Mama seldom wins the battle of keeping her hair out of her eyes with piggy tails. In two seconds, she pulls them right out. While visiting last time, it was my responsibility to dress her one morning. When we got to brushing her hair, I asked her where her barrettes are. She told me that she just wants to look at them. In other words, I can’t put them in yet. It’s the same with the potty. She eagerly wants us to read books about using the potty, but isn’t ready to sit on it quite yet.

I see myself that way, too. I’m a cautious type, but the call is to love boldly. I’ve read all about it in the Bible! Therefore, my mind is set to forgive more deeply, speak more carefully, let God lead me more and choose my friends more wisely. This will be another triumphant year. I just know it. By the way, I got that wonderful call a few days ago reporting that my granddaughter used her potty! It looks like we are both on our way to victory!

My post today connects to Spiritual Sundays hosted by Ginger & Charlotte.

Comments

  1. Beautiful reminder for me today.. I need to learn to see the beat in people. I need to live and love as I am called to.

    "let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." - Actions are what I need to work on.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  2. '...speak more carefully...'
    That'll be me! Thank you for these encouraging and uplifting words.God bless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your analogy and my10 yr. Is growing out her bangs and still gets her hair in her eyes. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'm reading a book called 1000 Gifts and I can't even begin to tell you how it's speaking to me.

    Loved reading this today my friend. We should all strive to do the same!

    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love(!) this reminder to "walk the talk."
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so good. I have been trying this year to trust more, but I am a cautious type too. It's a struggle, but I know it is worth it to learn to depend more on the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's kinda funny how a 3 year old can teach us something so amazing.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love learning from the kids! This spoke to me...challenging me to love more.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes Love is a hard thing to walk out...especially to those who have mistreated us, yet God calls us to do it. We are all like your grandbaby in ways. We can look at it, study it but can't quite do it! LOL! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your post. I, too, feel God is calling me to love more. And to keep my focus off myself and on Him and if I'm focused on Him and spend more time with Him then I can love more, as you so aptly said.Praying for a season of much loving for us both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and encouraging post. It makes me want to love fully and dive in deeper to walking with the Lord.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...