Skip to main content

Friday Funnies ~ Warshing Clothes




Warshing Clothes



Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water.

Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.

Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

Sort things, make 3 piles
1 pile white,
1 pile colored,
1 pile work britches and rags.

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
Hang old rags on fence.
Spread tea towels on grass.
Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

Ladies, are you glad we live in the days that we do? I got this from my girlfriend, Bev, who is shouting praises for our modern washing machines. I’m not from the south so she had to teach me that “wrench” means “rinse.”


Happy Friday! This post connects to Friday Funnies at Homesteader’s Heart.

Comments

  1. I'm going to go hug my washing machine now. Thank you! LOL!

    Have a beautiful weekend my friend.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny,I'm so glad we got them warshing machines,I must tell you I say "wrench" all the time,I even say, "I'm going to wrench off",instead of saying "Im going to take a shower",this has really given me a chuckle thanks I needed this.
    Have a great weekend!
    ~JO

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sisters still say "warsh". I took such a ribbing over it years ago that I managed to eradicate it from my vocabulary; but I sure miss it!

    Something else that took me a long time to change was "ice box". I'm clued into "refrigerator" now, but it's only been in recent years.

    Such fun, fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "warsh"!
    One of my co-workers is from Missouri and is teased unmercifully for that pronounciation!
    Sitting here reflecting how "soft" we've become ... so blessed by modern conveniences I take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe God in His sovereignty placed me right here in this time. He knew I would have perished without a washing machine! ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...