Skip to main content

How to Know If You're From Chicago





You Might Be From Chicago If:

The 'living room' is called the 'front room'.
You don't pronounce the 's' at the end of Illinois and you become irate at people who do.




You measure distance in minutes (especially 'from the city') and you swear everything is pretty much 1/2 hour away.




You go to visit friends, or family, down south and laugh when they complain about the traffic.
You understand that no person from Chicago can be a Cub fan AND a White Sox fan.
It's 'Kitty corner' not 'Katty corner'.
You know the difference between The Loop and Downtown
Stores don't have sacks, they have bags.




You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:
'Where's my coat at?' or can I go with?'
(My English teacher had fits with this one.)




You drink 'pop', not soda.
You call the interstates 'expressways'.
You refer to Lake Michigan as 'The Lake '
You refer to Chicago as 'The City'.
You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers.
You buy the 'Trib', not the 'Tribune' or the 'Times', not the 'Sun Times'.
You know that despite being on the lake, there is no such place as the Waterfront.
You think 45 degrees is great weather to wash your car.
You picnic or ride your bike in the 'forest preserve'.
You know what goes on a Chicago style hot dog.
You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is.
You know why they call Chicago 'The Windy City".
You understand what 'lake-effect' means.
You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at.
You have ridden the 'L'.
You think your next door neighbor is a cousin to Tony Soprano.




You have, at some time in your life, used your furniture...or a friend's body, to guard your parking spot in winter.




You respond to the question 'Where are you from?' with a 'side'. Example: 'Westside,' 'Southside or 'North Side.




You know what a 'garache key' is!
And my favorite: You eat your pizza in squares, not triangles, and you never refer to it as 'pie'.

I’m looking forward to reuniting with my family in Chicago next week. I miss all of them so much. My friend, Bev, emailed these. They are funny…and true! Anybody from Chicago out there and can relate?

Comments

  1. My friend who grew up in Chicago would love this!!! She was the one who taught me how to eat "Portillo's" (I can't call them "hot dogs" :) )and "Uno's pizza!".

    God bless and take care sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to share this with my hubby ... a "south-side" fella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Illinois so it is fun to read these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I learned a lot reading these. :o) We drink soda here.

    Have a great trip!

    Love!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not from Chicago but I enjoyed this post. I have relatives there. I also live in a state where we not only don't pronounce the s at the end but replace it with a w-Arkansas. Have fun reuniting with your family next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Mary, in case Im ever in Chicage, Ive learned some new things today.
    Some of these expressions are eevryday ones here in Ontario :)
    Have a great visit my friend!

    Deborah xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some friends from Chicago that can probably relate to this and will be passing it along. Thanks for sharing this for stopping by today!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Saleslady371 -

    I didn't know that you were a native of Chicago.

    I enjoyed this piece. Thank you

    You are going to visit there, soon?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street...

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...