Skip to main content

Pursuing Holiness




"A true love of God must begin with a delight in his holiness, and not with a delight in any other attribute; for no other attribute is truly lovely without this.” Jonathan Edwards

Remember when Jesus was out at sea with his disciples and a big storm came? They woke Him up and asked for His help. He awoke and calmed that horrendous storm. I want to focus on their reaction. Scripture tells us that after Jesus spoke to the raging waters, all became still again. But His disciples were terrified. Why is that? Because they were in the presence of the very holy One and isn’t it true that when we are in that presence we see ourselves for what we really are: afraid, sinful and doubting.

I’ve been reflecting on God’s holiness ever since I watched the 700 Club earlier in the week. A distraught mother called in and asked Pat Robertson what more she can do besides all her praying and fasting to hasten the return of her prodigal son. I felt that his reply was for me as well: “Instead of focusing on your son’s sins, focus on God’s holiness. Ask for God’s forgiveness for this son’s attitudes and offenses against such a holy God.”

I realize that we can’t repent for another person. However, our intercession takes on a whole new dimension when we take the approach of coming into the presence of a Holy God instead of dwelling on all the sinful rebellion we are seeing and continually telling God about it.
I am called to be holy. Peter says so in 1 Peter 1:15-16. “But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’ So how do I do this? By separating myself from the things of this world and dedicating myself to God.

I will never stop interceding for my prodigal and knowing I will become holy in the process is a win-win situation.

Spiritual Sundays is hosted by Charlotte and Ginger at http://bloggerspirit.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. So true! How much we want those that have fallen away to come back to Him, but we can't make them. We just need to keep being faithful in prayer and in our own serving God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will place your prodigal on my prayer list too! That was a beautiful post... We all have people we are crying out to the Lord for and I love the redirection of our prayer away from the sin and on to the Holy. He is faithful...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved this. It can be applied to so many other heartaches in our lives, too. Approaching God focusing on His holiness.

    I'm adding my prayers for your Son.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been the prodigal daughter (at 28 with two kids); I'm sure my parents' prayers were much the same.

    Your best days of parenting are ahead of you, sister. Keep to it.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have to go too far to realize that immoralities constantly surround us and this worldly way is truly shallow. I love the way our Savior saved us from our sins and at the same time, brought God's holiness into this place. The process is not easy but if we keep on drawing nearer to our Lord, He will sustain us...I believe in prayer covering...I believe because I was once a prodigal, same with my brothers whom my mother had prayed for. Day in...Day out...I saw those tears during helpless situations. But I also saw those tears of answered prayers. He does hear! Glory be to our God! Blessings and love to you sister...Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it hurts to watch someone you love hurting or not living right. I believe...prayer makes a huge difference. Me too...praying for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this prompt to re-focus
    our intercession.
    Thank you for this nugget of wisdom, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're preaching to this alert audience, Mary! I've got several of those prodigals in my own life. What has helped immensely is for me to switch-out my "pleas" (teh begging kind), for "thank you"s. By that I mean, I have begun to acknowledge & thank the Lord for the work He's doing in their lives, in them. I might not be able to see it, but I know He's at work. He loves them more than I.

    So, like the prodigal's father of old, I will pace the lot lines with my eye on the horizon. He was certain of his prodigal's return; and so am I.

    Hugs,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What good advice. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the reminder in your post to keep my focus on God's holiness. That's really what it's all about. I pray your prodigal will come back and you will see God's holiness in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes when I pray for others who are hurting or withdrawn, I ask God to forgive ME for the same attitude I see in them. Keep praying, keep seeking. I have neighbors that I thought would never enter into a church. I prayed and prayed for them. I had the thought (from the Holy Spirit) to invite their daughter to go to church with us one Sunday. They agreed, and she loved it. The following Sunday they ALL went to church as a family. God is reaching out to your son, He loves him, and won't let Him go either...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great message in this Mary. Thank you for sharing this with us. I need to redirect my focus too.

    Bless you friend!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a worthy admonition. Focusing on God's holiness - and it is an ever-present challenge in this polluted society in which we live, and work and move about.

    How glad we are for his grace. blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post! I love the newer look to your blog - great pictures.
    I've Become My Mother
    Kelly's Ideas
    Amazing Salvation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...