Skip to main content

Did I Retreat or Advance?


I’ve been feeling the tug in my spirit for days. I yearned to be alone with Him. Every once in a while I get that way. Where would I go to draw away with my Lord? A storm moved in and covered the surrounding mountains with snow. Even if I had the money to drive to another town and find a hotel, it would not be safe weather-wise. But God helped me. He must have wanted to be with me as much as I longed to be with Him. When I got home from work on Monday night, it was stormy, cold and my phone was dead. No computer. The Qwest repairman would not come until the next afternoon. A quiet Tuesday was handed to me on a platter. Even Baby, my screeching cocktail shut up. I cooked no meals and the housework was minimal. Silence…and Jesus.

It’s so wonderful to pray without interruption in complete silence in the comfort of my home. I listened for the Lord’s direction. I studied Exodus 17 and focused on Moses interceding in the battle against the Amelikites with his hands supported high. God gave him the victory against those descendants of fleshy Esau. Moses built an altar to God thanking Him and honoring Him for this victory. We know the Lord here as Jehovah Nissi, our banner. In days of war, the banner called the people together for battle. Actually it was a pole that glistened and it meant “rally to God.”

Yesterday, I was reminded that I have victory over my flesh. It’s there for the taking. I heard a word as I prayed…”Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” I yearn to draw away with Him more often. I enjoy the peace and quiet. This could be as addicting as blogging on my computer.

Rallying to God: think of how wonderful it sounds!

Comments

  1. This is so beautiful that God in all His infinite wisdom has a plan to satisfy that which you need and desire. What a great way to view it as well.

    Some might see this as an inconvenience and you see it as a blessing!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    I love it when one can see a blessing in an otherwise inconvenient situation! God wanted to meet with you as badly as you wanted to meet with Him! You are loved and His beloved! Have a lovely evening.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder of what I need to do. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, precious "retreat" with the Lord!

    Your special time with Him made my heart yearn for a set apart time with Him as well. I believe your words are confirming what the Spirit is speaking to my heart..........put "things" on hold and steal away with Him!

    Thanks for spurring me on dear friend!!

    Sweet Blessings!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is true! His presence is very addictive! I think that is the only good addiction though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sweet Smiling Friend,

    This is such a refreshing post for me to read. We all need that special time with the Lord...every single day. I've backed away from my computer many times due to having that alone time with Him as He always comes first doesn't He?

    I love you my special friend. You always bring joy and a smile to my heart.

    My prayers are always being said for you and your precious family.

    Big Hugs,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. "This could be as addicting as blogging on my computer." That's the only addiction that I would be your no.1 supporter!

    Amen to this post sister Mary. Take good care of yourself and have a great weekend. God bless and love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...