Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday ~ Trials


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you are involved in various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. James 1:2,3

Being a thankful person did not come easy to me. I can remember when I was a young girl and my mom would tell me to smile more and not take life so seriously. It seemed like everything frustrated me. Things didn’t change until I met Jesus. I was set free and thankfulness took on a whole new meaning. I felt thankful for everything. I saw the world in a whole new way.


I named my blog Pile of Smiles because Jesus gave me my smile back. I hoped this place would be a place of encouragement for others to stop by and be refreshed. But I’ll tell you, it’s been the other way around as well! I’m very thankful for the wonderful Christian friends I’ve met on line who inspire me with their heartfelt writings. I am thankful for the way people care about one another offering uplifting words and prayers. I’ve been going through a difficult trial of late. I thought about changing Pile of Smiles to Morose Moorings. However, I have found writers who write about the blessings of similar pain and share the victory that I believe in faith for every day! You can’t place a price tag on this kind of friendship. I’m thankful for each person placed strategically in my life.


I’m thankful this week for a sale! That is a big praise in this economy!


I’m thankful for my kids. My daughter, Amy, rejoices in God’s blessings. Her husband needed back surgery since last March. Finally the insurance company authorized it and he is now recovering beautifully. It does make you thankful when you are pain free. Thank God for answered prayer!


I can’t end my list of thanksgiving without talking about my plumbing problems over last weekend. It took my husband and I two days to resolve everything, but I am most thankful for showers that flow and toilets that flush! And I am thankful that we could fix the repairs ourselves avoiding expensive plumbing costs.


I close with a “plumber joke”. Did you hear that someone broke into our local police station and stole the toilet? Right now the cops have nothing to go on.


Thankful Thursday is hosted by Grace Alone.

Comments

  1. I am thankful for you and having met you in blogland!
    We are going through some serious trials right now as well. I always tell my husband that if it weren't for my sense of humor I'd be in the nut house right now! LOL
    God is good and knows all about what we are going through my friend. I know that we will both come out victorious in the end.
    Big giant hugs to you.
    Oh and I loved the plumber joke!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you beautiful soul

    It does something good to learn what it is to need. To long for. It teaches lessons nothing else could touch.

    The level of compassion that develops is so freeing. Peace replaces the irritations.

    Don't particularly enjoy them but I have learned this dear smiles, that he is for us not against us. All that he does is for our benefit.

    funny...my word verification is
    Sorring

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful like others to have met you sister Mary! Rejoicing with you with all those praise reports! God is good...all the time...

    If you change "Pile of Smiles" it won't be the same anymore so please DON'T!!! :)

    Not only can you shoot with a gun, you can fix plumbing problems, too...What can I say, Proverbs 32 woman....errr....31...'coz the Prov.31 woman could weave her own blankets and planted a vineyard but I don't think she knows how to fix plumbing stuff...

    Thank you for the early "Friday Funnies"...You always make us smile!!!Love and blessings to you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, this is Yoli. We met through Scripture Sunday. I want to sincerely thank you for recently posting comment on my old blog, Apron of the Month Club. Your words of faith and encouragement are very special to me especially with our sudden relocation news and increased stress.

    The company I work for is relocating my job to a new city by January 1st. I also co-own an online boutique with my sister Jessica, and we have decided to professionally seek solo creative directions. So, I am opening up a new online boutique and new blog. I look forward to God opening new doors. My kids and are excited about new adventures.

    Please know that I read each and every comment you post. They are my inspiration and confirmation of God’s love. Please add me to your list of blogs that you follow.

    God Bless You!
    Yoli
    http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com/
    www.apronsenorita.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sense of humor in the midst of trials. And I love that you care about others who are going through trials and take the time to pray.

    Love you,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piles of Smiles is a fitting name and your blog is encouraging to everyone who reads it! Sometimes I forget to label challenges in life as trials, but I'm going to remember to do so now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful for wonderful blog friends like you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO thankful for you and that the LORD gave you piles of smiles. You wear them well dear sister and you grace my heart with warmth upon every visit.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mary ~ You are such a treasure! I just adore you!

    I never would have believed you wouldn't be a thankful person but then I remembered your personality BUT then I remembered WHY you have your smile! JESUS!! It is authentic, this smile, because HE gave it to you and that is why it touches all of us so deeply. I have seen HIM shine in you each and every time you post no matter what you are facing and HE is growing and moving you so powerfully! I am so thankful for the privelege of seeing it manifest! Soon and very soon ~ its comin :)

    Congrats on the sale! That is awesome!! and for your SIL's back surgery. Praise the Lord for provision and healing.

    Still praying Mary! and thanks for the joke
    really i just LOL-ed :)

    LOVE YOU SO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely find encouragement and smiles every time I stop to visit you Mary. It is so beautiful to hear your testimony that Jesus redeemed your smile! He bought it back for you! Oh how that makes me smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED this post!! I sat here laughing aloud at the joke at the end. haha How wonderful that the Lord gave us laughter and a sense of humor isn't it? I am amazed at how many of us are going through our own personal trials and difficulties. And yet the Lord gave us not only Himself but each other to make it through. I think your blog is WONDERFULLY named and it is just what I do every time I visit. Have a wonderful day..Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your closing joke! Nothing fun to laugh at however and so glad that you got your plumbing issues solved.

    I must say that your blog is a blessing and truly does what you had set out to do. Make it a place to inspire and motivate others.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh... I am thankful for having "met" you online, too. The joke was funny, even if I groaned when I read the punchline! Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Keep smiling - it looks REALLY good on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute joke, and I like your tt list. Have a great day. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your smiling heart shines brightly!

    I think about the apostle Paul and the trials he went through. I don't imagine he was happy, but he intentionally and purposefully chose joy. I certainly need to remind myself to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...