Skip to main content

Praying for our Nation

I can’t think of a better prayer for our nation this Independence Day than Billy Graham’s. We’ve all probably prayed it, but let’s pray it again for this great nation of America.

'Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance. We know Your Word says, 'Woe to those who call evil good,' but that is exactly what we have done. We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values. We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery. We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare.. We have killed our unborn and called it choice. We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable. We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self esteem. We have abused power and called it politics. We have coveted our neighbor's possessions and called it ambition. We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression. We have ridiculed the time-honored values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment. Search us, Oh God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from every sin and Set us free. Amen!'

Commentator Paul Harvey aired this prayer on his radio program, 'The Rest of the Story,' and received a larger response to this program than any other he has ever aired. With the Lord's help, may this prayer sweep over our nation and wholeheartedly become our desire so that we again can be called 'One nation under God..'

Comments

  1. Amen and Amen.

    Mary dear sister you and your family are on my heart and in my prayers. I emailed you yesterday.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if ever our nation needed prayer, it is today!

    Thank you for sharing, and for the reminder.

    Kathleen

    P.S. I share Lisa's heartfelt prayers on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I agree this is a great holiday to remember not only our freedom that was fought for but our freedom to pray and ask God to keep us in His care, leading us in His way. Amen!
    Have a great 4th!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Mary! God have mercy on this nation and our president/government.

    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wheww. Just got home sister Mary, hot day today! But I'm refreshed after reading what you shared. We need this kind of prayer, every day, too. I pray Americans will not turn their backs on our good God. Have a happy Independence Day and take care sister. Praying for you always. Love you in Christ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say a loud amen to that prayer Mary! How true those words really are. I think we in the US have taken our freedoms for granted. The Lord has had His hand on our country and I feel that so many are turning away and not giving Him the glory He is due. I pray for our nation.

    Hugs to you Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I join you in prayer. We need more faithfulness, more truth, more grace. And we long for heaven . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect opportunity to pray for our country. Though every day is a good day as well!
    Big hugs to you my friend and Happy 4th!!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMEN!

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend. I have been thinking about you and sending special prayers your way. You, my dear bloggy friend have been on my mind...No coincidence in GOD's family. You are an awesome friend and prayer warrior. I am inspired when I read your posts and your comments on my blogs. GOD BLESS YOU, andrea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...