Skip to main content

Underground Jerusalem


Seeing the prison where Jesus was held prior to his sentencing by Pontius Pilate was deafening. It was quiet as our small archaeology class of twelve descended the steps into this dark, dreary room. No one spoke. The place, called the Pratorium, is an underground prison carved into the bedrock of Jerusalem. In this dungy, dirty prison which was originally lit by torches without running water or toilet facilities, condemned prisoners were held waiting for their execution. Our professor was demonstrating where chains were bolted into the rock wall that were fastened to the prisoners’ arms by shackles. If you look carefully, you can see a narrow bench carved into the wall where they rested. The prison held no more than six to eight people. It wasn’t necessary to have a larger Roman prison because judgment and execution was swift and fast. The Pratorium would have been shared simultaneously with Barabbas who was released in lieu of Jesus.


This dark cubby hole was where the shame and embarrassment began on His journey to the cross. How grateful I am to stand there and on the inside I’m pondering the price he paid for me. I felt unworthy, yet I didn’t want to leave. Jesus, the perfect Lamb of God, was clothed in a purple robe wearing a crown of thorns when Pilate presented Him to the Jews and exclaimed: “Behold the man! See John 19:5. A church now stands over the Pratorium which is named “Ecco Homo” which is Latin for ‘Behold the Man’.

Notice the last photo. This was taken at the spot that some say was the place that soldiers gambled for the Lord’s clothing. The dice game board is carved into the stone floor which dates back to the first century. Whether or not this was the exact game board that the soldiers used to gamble for Jesus’ robe, has yet to be proven; however, it would have been a game similar to this that they used for the wager.





Photo 1: Staircase in church down to lower level where Pratorium is located
Photo 2: Illustration of bench where prisoners sat hooked up to chains awaiting their trial.
Photo 3: Dice game embedded on the floor


Ginger is hosting Spiritual Sunday today. You are invited to visit for special encouragement.




Comments

  1. What an amazing experience you had. I would love one day to go also. I think I would need TONS of boxes of Kleenex for that experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Great information and message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I've never been able to go, but you took me. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe-inspiring post.
    blessings. Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had the priviledge of going there but you took me on a great tour. Thanks for sharing. And thank you for your prayers! Have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitka has an award for you at his blog...go to:
    http://andrealuvsallgodscreature.blogspot.com

    love and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so humbled. What a powerful post. As I took the steps through your tour, I was very humbled, weepy. Oh what an awesome Lord we have. Thank you Jesus for the cross. Thank you Jesus for saving all of us.

    I just love you dear friend.

    Many Hugs and Blessings,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible! I loved your post and the pictures of this place of such deep meaning.
    xo...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing to be able to be there and have this amazing experience. We went to Jerusalem in 1978. It is so amazing to be there and I have always wanted to go back.
    Thank you for sharing with us today.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. My reaction? I gasped. As in, took my breath away. You are wonderful to share this with us. A picture is, indeed, worth a 1000 words. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you posted these pictures today! I have never been but I could somewhat just imagine all the feelings that somebody would have while being there. I guess we should feel those feelings at all times. Thank-you so much for sharing these on our Spiritual Sunday.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that you got to see this place, and what an amazing thing Christ did for us. It's the greatest love story ever told! And I'm so grateful that He loved us enough to give His life that we who believe in Him might live...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing --it helps to reflect on these things...it puts things in perspective when we meditate on all he has done and gone through for us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome to be there, learning and soaking in the entire experience. I can only imagine how powerful it was to be in the very place where Jesus was. Thanks for sharing. One day I would love to go to Jerusalem.

    Blessings,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this awesome tour! As I have never been there (and probably never will get there)I am grateful that you shared your experience with us. Very humbling.

    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard from many, and now you, that standing on such holy ground is life-changing. I can only imagine. Thank you for sharing your pics and experience!

    What a beautiful & timely reminder it is, too, during this season of Passover, Redemption & Resurrection.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

A Veteran's Story

  I noticed Bill sitting in our local park where I walk.   He glanced my way just as I finished the last exercise walk song on my playlist.   He shouted and pointed to my car:   “Hey, is that your car with the Nam front license plate?   I stepped closer into the veranda where Bill sat on a picnic bench.   I noticed his Vietnam Vet cap and instantly I knew why I walked there that day.   The Marine Vet served during the 1960’s, the same time span as my husband.   Bill talked a lot about the war evoking my emotions from laughter to tears.   My South Vietnam front plate often prompts a conversation with a stranger and I’ve learned a deep respect for it over the years.   It is my way of listening to a veteran.   I enjoyed listening to Bill.   He made me laugh in spots but he made me cry as well.   Like when he talked about the sandwich lady.   “Do you ever eat at the sandwich shop in the gas station down the street...

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...