Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:14

I had a friend who used to wear a tee shirt with a profound saying. On the front were the words “now you see me” and on the back “now you don’t.” It was accompanied by scripture rapture verses. The message was clear. We are on this earth for an appointed time, and then we go to our final home where we’ll dwell for all eternity. This week I’m thankful that when those around us go to their eternal home, God comforts their family and friends and gives them the strength to go on. On Monday, my friend’s mother died and I’ve been praying for her and her dad as they plan her mom’s Celebration of Life. There’s nothing like God’s comfort!

I still miss my friend and mentor, Janine, who died suddenly in the fall of 2007. I’m thankful for the years that I knew her and the times that we served the Lord together. Have you ever had a friend you clicked with so well that you easily could be yourself and acceptance flowed between the two of you? With such a friend you can share your heart and not worry that it will be used against you because of jealousy or fear. Jeanine and I prayed together, studied together, planned women’s events for our church, sought out the weary and downtrodden women and took them to lunch to listen and encourage them with the Word of God. Ours was a valuable friendship. I admired her and am so grateful now for the times I was able to verbalize my appreciation of her as a role model to women. Proverbs 12:26 tells us to choose our friends carefully. I found her to be the “real deal.” So did many other women; when she died, Gary had to rent the school gymnasium and then the facility wasn’t big enough to pay respects to a life well lived.

After work yesterday, we stopped at Home Depot before Bible Study. I hope I was gracious enough when we bumped into Gary and his new wife. He looked refreshed and very happy again and I’m thanking the Lord for his new companion to accompany him on this journey called life. On the way home in the car, I expressed my gratitude to our great God that though life has many challenges, He gets us through and we go on. I liked my husband’s reply: God is a restorer. He’s restored Gary and we know that Janine is peaceful with her Lord in her eternal habitation. And life goes on.

Remember to join us this thankful Thursday! Our God loves to hear our thankful hearts and we inspire one another when we thank Him. Thank you Lynn for hosting today. Click here.

Comments

  1. It is so hard losing friends like Janine. But you have just the right attitude, I think. And although you miss her, you will see her again. I have to remind myself of that whenever I think of my mother in heaven. We get to spend eternity with them. What a time of catching up we'll have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thankful heart you have and I was blessed here today!

    Thank you for sharing with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this beautiful post. I am the second wife to a wonderful husband who lost his first wife, a Godly woman to cancer. I always wonder when I am introduced to people who knew "them" what they think or how they really feel. GOD bless you! andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet memories and a very sweet story.
    I had a friend who was dying of breast cancer, it had ravaged her body for many years. Another friend of ours was one of her nurses when she was near death. One day before she died, she looked at her husband and said,"Honey, there is your new wife." She named her successor!! And their marriage is a very special reminder of the love this precious one had for her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post =)
    People come & go in our lives but they will always leave wonderful mem'ries in our hearts & thats enough reason to be thankful.
    You're blessedto have known Janine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious, precious post! Happy Thankful Thursday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are just a vapor in this world. The Lord puts people across our pathways for His reasons, I'm glad He put You across mine. You are an inspiration and encourager to me, and if we lived close enough, I'm sure we would be great friends (I feel we are in the blogging world at least). I have never lost a dear friend, but I have lost both of my parents, who were very dear friends to me. I miss them deeply. April 2 would have been my dad's birthday and April 13would have been their anniversary.

    It's not very often you find the "real deal" and I'm God blessed you with Janine and the fond memories you now have.

    Happy Thankful Thursday and God bless you dear friend.

    Hugs,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your lovely heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P. S. Thanks for visiting Reflections of His Truth today! Your comment meant the world to me. I enjoyed writing this post. Studying the Psalms is just precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I have/had friends like that, praise dee Lord! Restoration is such a beeutiful thing, where would we be without it? Don't answer that. Let's just keep renewing our hearts & minds in Christ daily, and be open to the Holy Spirit's still small voice. What a MIGHTY whisper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting me @ lipsticknladdles.com.

    Im glad you enjoyed the photos. We are planning to visit them in the Philippines this coming December. I am so excited!
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...