Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday -~ The Little Things


It’s Thankful Thursday and I’m thanking God for all the blessings of this past week, especially the little things. It is the little things that amaze me of how much God cares for me. You expect Him to do the big hard things, but the little details seem to matter to Him too, and that makes me feel loved.

I’m thankful for friendships of women. My friends, Peggy & Mary Jane invited me out for breakfast after church last Sunday. It was fun to be a part of what was happening in that restaurant. So many of us Christians were enjoying a meal and reuniting with old friends from various churches. It felt like a preview of Heaven to be in that restaurant that everybody seems to like on Sunday mornings.

I’m thankful that the same day that my coffee pot broke, my husband surprised me with a brand new Cuisinart coffee maker. I can’t imagine not starting my day with coffee and what a blessing to have such a nice appliance!

I’m grateful for having had the opportunity to take a week off and visit with my daughter and granddaughter last week. I thank God for all the smiles little four-month old Susanna gave me. A smile may seem like a little thing, but when she smiles, her whole face seems to rise and get into it. Why do babies without any teeth look more adorable than adults who lost theirs?

I’m thankful my husband and I were able to attend Bible study at church last night. He said he would like to go with me, but when a client scheduled a late afternoon appointment I wondered if our plans would fall through. With past experiences like this, we usually just want to go straight home when it gets so late. Last night we were able to finish in time to grab a quick sandwich and drive to the service. Nothing is too hard for God. The client, too, is a Christian. He probably wanted to get to his Wednesday night Bible study.

I’m thankful that my daughter cared enough to invite me to Twitter. It is neat to be able to read “little things” that my daughters post every day and also take the time to join in with them. This must be the way my Mom felt when in her 90’s, I insisted she learn her email program so we can keep in touch often. She was adorable typing everything in caps at first. One of the kids told me she felt that Grannie was always yelling at her!

What little things are you thankful for this Thursday? Join in the fun at Grace Alone.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful TT post. I can see that you have the love and grace of God in your life - it shows in your great big smile! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed your post! Your piles of smiles run down through your list of thanksgiving to the Lord. Happy Thankful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your thankful Thursday list of little things. It's amazing how those little things are really important. Friends are great and coffee is divine! How wonderful too that your hubby got to go to the Bible study.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Have This Day

  A friend noticed Cowboy Church off of Dry Creek Road in West Sedona yesterday morning as he drove past and told me the parking lot was bulging with cars from everywhere.  "Something big was going on!  He said." "Yes I replied; I was there and I want to tell you all about what happened." I glanced over the highly attended sanctuary as the first speaker approached to speak.  He introduced himself as a pastor from the state of Washington but he was also my bestie's nephew.  His engaging  eulogy of the life of his cousin, Ashley, gripped me.  He helped all of us understand and trust God when we want to scream "She was so young.  What about her widower husband now who loved her with all his heart?  What about their two-year old boy who misses his mommy?"  There are days we just don't understand God's ways.  But I am at peace to know Ashley is finally pain free and lives in Paradise. I glanced at her mom, Maureen, my best friend now for...

A Memorial Day Reflection

  Memorial Day is always noteworthy for me and my girls.  Next Thursday marks the third year of missing their father, my husband. So many thoughts  run through my mind.  The journey of loss takes on various emotions.  The strongest feeling, at first, was emptiness.  In a split second, I would forget he departed forever.  I imagined things I needed to talk to him about when he got back home.  My mind is realistic now.  He's not coming back.  There will be no more times of sitting on the porch swing together on the front deck staring at the moon and the stars.  He would tell me all he knew about the majestic night sky. I have so much I wish I could tell him, like the excitement of seeing our oldest grandchild make a decision to follow Jesus and get baptized on Mother's Day!  And our little Amy, 11 years old, I wish he could have seen her on stage receiving her induction to the National Honor Society. Our daughters have their own ...

Grandparent's Day!

So here it is, the first Sunday after Labor Day or as I refer to it, Grandparent's Day! I arrived in Tucson a week ago.  Twelve year old Amy and excitable Jasper greeted me at the front door.  Smiley Amy looked so happy.  Then she said:  "I'm happy you are here.  Her sister, Susanna, stood next in the greeting line with big hugs.  It's been eight months since I've seen them.  My, they grow so fast. Susanna is a senior this year.  I love hearing about the colleges she visited during summer and the ones she hopes to apply for this fall.  Her mom and I have been watching Downtown Abbey with her, and of course, enjoying late evening tea with the actors in the movie. Amy continues to rock math.  This year, she's been chosen to be her teacher's assistant.  She is very responsible and the one I ask to help at the house when her parents travel.  Amy plays worship music for her dog, Star, who is recovering from Valley Fever.  It wo...